February 16, 2017
Attention early and late-night commuters – you may want to plan ahead throughout next week if you're heading into Center City. Interstate 676 will be closed from Monday to Thursday for bridge construction, the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation announced Thursday.
The closures and detours that stretch from I-76 to the Broad Street interchanges will begin Monday and last from 11 p.m. to 5 a.m. during overhead bridge construction – part of a $64.8 million project to replace seven structurally deficient bridges.
PennDOT will remove a half of the 22nd Street and 21st Street bridges next week.
Here are the detours for the closure of I-676 east:
• From I-676 east: Exit at 30th Street/Market Street, right at Arch Street, left at 30th Street, left at Market Street, left at 16th Street and a right at Vine Street to the ramp that will drop motorists back onto I-676 east
• From I-676 west: Exit at 30th Street, then onto Schuylkill Avenue and a right on Market Street, left at 16th Street and right to Vine Street
• If planning on using the 24th Street on-ramp, follow the Benjamin Franklin Parkway around Logan Circle. From there, head onto Vine Street east and onto I-676 east
Here are the detours for the closure of I-676 west is closed:
• To I-76 East and West: Exit I-676 west at the Broad Street Interchange onto 15th Steet, from there head south onto J.F.K. Boulevard and right onto Schuylkill Avenue where there will be signs for I-76 east and west
• From 16th Street north of J.F.K. Boulevard: Head north on 16th Street, right at Spring Garden Street, right at 15th Street and another right onto J.F.K. Boulevard and a right onto Schuylkill Avenue to ramps for I-76
• From 16th Street south of J.F.K. Boulevard: Take 16th Street northbound and make a left at J.F.K. Boulevard and a right onto Schuylkill Avenue to ramps for I-76
The construction, which will last until fall of 2018, looks to replace bridges between 18th and 22nd streets. Additional detour options can be found on PennDOT's website here.