March 21, 2017
Philadelphia residents can pick up a free tree this spring. The offer is courtesy of Fairmount Park Conservancy, Philadelphia Parks & Recreation and program sponsor TD Bank.
Those who want to take a tree home to plant in their yard can choose from 12 varieties.
• Black gum (Nyssa sylvatica)
• Red oak (Quercus rubra)
• Gray birch (Betula populifolia)
• Ironwood (Hophornbeam) (Ostrya virginiana)
• Red buckeye (Aesculus pavia)
• Robinson crabapple (Malus ‘Robinson’)
• Staghorn sumac (Rhus typhina)
• Witchhazel (Hamamelis virginiana)
• Sourwood (Oxydendrum arboreum)
• Apple (Malus domestica)
• Apricot (Prunus armeniaca)
• Sweet cherry (Prunus avium)
Before taking the tree home, information will be shared on how to plant and care for the new sapling, and each person will receive a free bag of mulch.