September 16, 2016
Three events in Philadelphia over the weekend will force street closures and traffic delays.
The Rock 'n' Roll 5K race on Saturday will force street closures from 6 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Participants will stage on the Martin Luther King Drive at the Skate Pavilion at 8 a.m. The route will proceed north on Martin Luther King Drive, to just north of Girard Avenue, then turn around and proceed back to Eakins Oval. Due to the number of participants involved; the following streets will be closed:
• Eakins Oval: Westbound to Spring Garden Street Bridge and into the city from southbound Kelly Drive
• Spring Garden Street: Westbound only
• Kelly Drive: Fairmount Avenue to Eakins Oval (southbound only)
Also Saturday, an event in Rittenhouse Square will close 18th Street between Locust and Walnut streets from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. Officers will be assigned to the outdoor dining event sponsored by the Friends of Rittenhouse Square, but traffic in the area could be heavy at times, police said.
On Sunday, the Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon and thousands of runners will result in a number of road closures.
The half-marathon starts at 7:30 a.m., but both directions of the following roads will be closed to traffic at midnight Sunday, according to race organizers:
• Eakins Oval, from 22nd Street to Art Museum Drive
• Spring Garden Street, from Pennsylvania Avenue to Kelly Drive
• Arch Street, from 15th to 21st streets
• 21st Street, from Arch Street to Market Street
• Market Street, from 15th to 21st streets
• South Penn Square, from 15th Street to Juniper Street
• JFK Boulevard, from Juniper Street to 15th Street
• 15th Street, from JFK Boulevard to Arch Street
• Art Museum Drive, from Ben Franklin Parkway to Pennsylvania Avenue
• Fairmount Avenue, from Kelly Drive to North 18th Street
Streets will reopen on a rolling basis as soon as the last participant passes and all course support materials are removed, organizers said.