March 31, 2017
LEGOLAND Discovery Center at the Plymouth Meeting Mall will open to the public April 6. The indoor LEGO playground features 10 LEGO play zones, including MINILAND, where iconic Philly landmarks were recreated with 1.5 million LEGO bricks.
In total, it took 20 expert LEGO model builders approximately six months to build more than 50 models of iconic area landmarks and hundreds of LEGO figures.
Visitors can view replicas of places like Reading Terminal Market, Independence Hall, Logan Square, South Philly's Pat's and Geno's, Boathouse Row, City Hall and Citizens Bank Park.
As for the other play zones, there are activities for every kind of LEGO builder.
• LEGO Ninjago Training Camp – Boost ingenuity, flexibility and agility through build challenges.
• Imagination Express – Go on an interactive LEGO ride that leaves from Brick Station.
• LEGO 4D Cinema – Watch a movie in the auditorium.
• LEGO Creative Workshop – Each workshop lasts approximately 25 minutes and teaches a new LEGO building skill.
• Pirate Adventure Island – A soft play area where kids can climb aboard a LEGO-themed pirate ship.
• LEGO Friends – Help Olivia, Emma, Stephanie, Mia and Andrea build things to add to Heartlake City.
• LEGO Racers (Build & Test) – Build a vehicle, then test it on the ramp.
• DUPLO Park – Little builders can get creative with big and soft bricks.
• Earthquake Tables – Can your LEGO skyscraper pass the earthquake challenge?
At many of the stations in the 33,000-square-foot Discovery Center, there are buckets of bricks for little builders to use their imagination.
To keep the thousands of LEGO bricks sanitary through their many uses, they are cleaned on a daily basis according to a strict schedule and procedure.
Tickets for LEGOLAND are currently available and start at $19 per person for single-day admission. The Discovery Center is ideal for children ages 3-10.
LEGOLAND will open daily at 10 a.m. and will close at 7:30 p.m. on Mondays through Saturdays and at 6 p.m. on Sundays.
“We are excited to give families the unique opportunity to be immersed in a colorful world of creativity, learning and imagination beginning on April 6, just in time for when many students in the Greater Philadelphia region will be on spring break from school,” Michael Taylor, general manager for the Plymouth Meeting LEGOLAND, stated.
View more images of LEGOLAND below.
Opening Thursday, April 6
Opening at 11 a.m. on April 6 | $19-$54 for tickets
Plymouth Meeting Mall
500 W. Germantown Pike