November 04, 2016
Over the last few years, the New York Giants have been notoriously susceptible in injuries in mass quantities, however, they have largely avoided the injury bug in 2016, with the exception of the safety spot.
Here is the Friday injury report:
Update: On Saturday, the Eagles downgraded Bennie Logan and Taylor Hart to OUT.
• OG Allen Barbre: Stefen Wisniewski will start in Barbre's place at LG, and will also serve as the primary backup center to Jason Kelce. The next man up at either guard spot would be Isaac Seumalo, with Matt Tobin being the primary backup both at LT and RT.
• LB Kamu Grugier-Hill: The Eagles acquired Grugier-Hill off of waivers after 53-man cutdowns to contribute on special teams.
• DT Bennie Logan: Logan's absence hurt the Eagles' run defense against the best rushing offense in the NFL a week ago. This week his absence is of lesser importance against a bad Giants rushing attack.
• DT Taylor Hart: Hart was signed last week in anticipation of Logan being out. Doug Pederson said last Friday that Hart would likely play on Sunday, but he ended up being inactive for the Dallas game. He'll be inactive once again against the Giants.
• RT Lane Johnson (suspended 10 games): The Halapoulivaati Vaitai project continues.
• CB Ron Brooks (IR): As a player, Brooks isn't exactly a world-beater, as he doesn't have a single interception, sack, or forced fumble over his five-year NFL career, however, his loss will further deplete an already thin group at cornerback. In Brooks' absence, Malcolm Jenkins has dropped down into the slot in nickel packages, with Jaylen Watkins coming off the bench to play safety.
• S Darian Thompson: Thompson was expected at one time to be back for the Eagles game, but he had a setback with his foot injury. Thompson won a starting safety job in training camp after being selected by the Giants in the third round of the 2016 NFL Draft, but has missed the last five games.
• DE Kerry Wynn: Just a guy.
• S Nat Berhe: Berhe started two games while Thompson was out, but he suffered a concussion. When Thompson and Berhe have both been out, undrafted rookie Andrew Adams has started.
• OT Marshall Newhouse: Newhouse began the season as the starting RT. Whether it's Newhouse or Bobby Hart starting at RT, they'll have their hands full with Brandon Graham.
• QB Ryan Nassib: Sucky backup quarterback.
• RB Bobby Rainey: Rainey is a short, compact guy at 5'8, 212, who is mainly used in the passing game. On the season, he has 17 receptions for 132 yards.
• RB Shane Vereen (IR): Vereen was placed on IR with a triceps injury. In the three games he played, he was an effective runner (31 carries, 147 yards, 4.7 YPC, 1 TD) and receiver (8-75-0), although he did lose two fumbles.
• LB J.T. Thomas (IR): Thomas started 11 games in 2015 for the Giants, posting 46 tackles, and little else.
Follow Jimmy on Twitter: @JimmyKempski
Like Jimmy on Facebook.