September 04, 2015
NFL teams have to cut their rosters down to 53 players by 4:00pm on Saturday, and the Eagles are already well underway in getting to that number. While they have not yet officially announced cuts yet, here are the players they have informed of their release so far, according to several sources and reports (in alphabetical order):
• WR Rasheed Bailey: Undrafted free agent who became a fan favorite after a surprisingly good training camp and preseason. He's a solid practice squad candidate.
• QB Matt Barkley: Traded to the Cardinals. Analysis here.
• OT Brett Boyko: Got the biggest signing bonuses of the UDFAs, but didn't do enough to stick.
• OG Malcolm Bunche: I had Bunche on my final 53-man roster. Thought he did a nice job getting push in the run game. Practice squad candidate.
• CB Randall Evans: Made a number of plays in practice, but gave up a lot of them too.
• TE Andrew Gleichert: Never really stood out in any way.
• DE Brian Mihalik: Eagles' 7th round pick was a victim of a numbers game along the defensive line. Practice squad candidate.
• OG John Moffitt: Got his life back together after retiring from football, but did not play well.
• RB Raheem Mostert: Caught the ball really well out of the backfield, and showed he can be a kick returner in the NFL. Prime practice squad candidate if no teams claim him off waivers.
• WR Quron Pratt: Practice squad guy from a year ago will try to stick there again.
• S Chris Prosinski: Had him on my final 53 as well. The Eagles are loaded with special teams contributors, and short on backup safeties who can play in the regular defense. Prosinski was the former.
• DE Travis Raciti: Looked good at times in practice, never stood out in preseason games.
• LB Deonte Skinner: Late addition at training camp.
• P Kip Smith: Best preseason kicker ever.
• TE Eric Tomlinson: Big guy, regarded as a good blocker, made some catches in practice and in the first preseaosn game, limited athletically.
• OG Julian Vandervelde: Fourth time the Eagles have waived him.
Six to go.
Follow Jimmy on Twitter: @JimmyKempski