Since 2010, the Philadelphia Eagles have made a whopping 25 trades from the time training camp has started (or close enough) until their first game of the season was played. Without looking at the trade history of 31 other teams, I have to imagine that is by far the most trades by any team in the league during that span.
In 2018, enjoying the afterglow of the Birds' Super Bowl win, Howie Roseman didn't have his typical itchy trigger finger, as he made one boring trade for Deiondre' Hall. In the nine offseasons prior to that (with Roseman locked away in a bunker for the one season in 2015), the Eagles were very busy. Just for the hell of it, let's take a look back at the last 10 years of Eagles training camp trades:
- Traded a seventh-round pick to the Bears for S Deiondre' Hall.
- Traded G/T Allen Barbre to the Broncos for a seventh-round pick.
- Traded a third-round pick and WR Jordan Matthews for CB
- Traded OT Matt Tobin and a seventh-round pick to the Seahawks
for a fifth-round pick.
- Traded S Terrance Brooks to the New York Jets for CB Dexter
- Traded LS Jon Dorenbos to the New Orleans Saints in exchange
for a seventh-round pick. Of course, this trade was later rescinded after it was determined that Dorenbos might have died if he continued playing football.
- Traded G/T Dennis Kelly to the Titans for WR Dorial Green-Beckham.
- Traded QB Sam Bradford to the Vikings for a first-round pick
and a fourth-round pick.
- Traded CB Eric Rowe to the Patriots for a fourth-round pick.
- Traded CB Brandon Boykin to the Steelers for a fifth-round pick.
- Traded QB Matt Barkley to the Cardinals for a seventh-round pick.
- Traded RB David Fluellen to the Colts for K Cody Parkey.
- Traded a seventh-round pick to the Panthers for
RB Kenjon Barner.
- Traded RB Felix Jones to the Steelers for LB Adrian Robinson.
- Traded OL Nate Menkin to the Texans for WR Jeff Maehl.
- Traded a sixth-round pick to the Browns for S David
Sims and a seventh-round pick
- Traded LB Moise Fokou and LB Greg Lloyd to the Colts for CB
- Traded CB D.J. Johnson to the Colts for DT Ollie Ogbu.
- Traded QB Kevin Kolb to the Cardinals for CB Dominique
Rodgers-Cromartie and a second-round pick.
- Traded DT Brodrick Bunkley to the Broncos for a sixth-round pick.
- Traded LB Joe Mays to the Broncos for a sixth-round pick.
- Traded RB Charles Scott to the Cardinals for CB Jorrick
- Traded a sixth-round pick to the Cardinals for OG
- Traded LB Tracy White and a seventh-round pick to the Patriots for a sixth-round pick.
- Traded Stacy Andrews to the Seahawks for a seventh-round pick.
- Traded a seventh-round pick to the Ravens for DE Antwan
This training camp, if the Eagles were to deal a player, the best bet would probably be G/T Halapoulivaati Vaitai. For the last three seasons, Vaitai has served as the team's swing tackle, and was a good enough starting LT during the Eagles' Super Bowl run not to derail the offense.
In 2019, Vaitai has been getting first-team reps at RG while Brandon Brooks recovers from a torn Achilles. With Brooks avoiding the PUP list to start camp, there is optimism that he may not miss much time during the regular season, if any, in which case Vaitai could become expendable on a team that has other quality OL depth.
Whether it's Vaitai, someone else, or an acquisition from another team, get back to entertaining us, please, Howie.
Follow Jimmy & PhillyVoice on Twitter: @JimmyKempski | @thePhillyVoice
Like us on Facebook: PhillyVoice Sports
Add Jimmy's RSS feed to your feed reader