January 07, 2016
Welcome to PhillyVoice’s weekly quiz about quotes that appeared in our stories during the past week.
The following quotes come from a wide array of topics, so if you’re looking to get a leg up on the competition (in a contest for which the prize is personal pride), keep reading stories from the worlds of news, entertainment and sports.
The answers are tucked at the bottom of each post (with the context available via hyperlink). We will know – and tell everybody – if you scrolled down and illicitly claimed you went 12 for 12. Real talk.
Your possible answers are:
Margaret Brogan, legal arbitrator; Carlos Estela, Mummers Parade volunteer; Carrie Goldman, mother of a big "Star Wars" fan; Jimmy Kempski, Eagles writer, PhillyVoice; Jim Kenney, mayor of Philadelphia; Judy Kluska, Port Richmond resident who lost her engagement ring; Robert Maliff, director in applied solutions group, ECRI Institute; PhillyVoice commenter; Mike Piazza, former MLB catcher; Lt. Dennis Rosenbaum, Philadelphia police, Northeast Detectives; Jessica Santillo, spokesperson, Uber; and Frank Winslow, director of quality assurance, Yards Brewing Company.
1. "A huge number of the messages I'm getting are from men. This is not a women's issue."
2. "The hazing of rookies, by spanking them, sometimes with a sandal, was completely unacceptable."
3. "Making people feel bad about who they are is not part of the Mummers tradition and we need to work on that."
4. "This is great. It unites the whole community. All kinds of people come."
5. "Hickey....you're a dirtball. You're from the burbs. Keep your f------ opinions there. POS."
6. "I was in a couple different stores returning things, and when I was leaving, it was probably around 4 o’clock in the afternoon, and I realized my ring was missing."
7. "This is a tough lady. She wanted to get home and put her groceries away."
8. "Mufasa was the poster-child for #culture, which the new staff may not need to rely on as heavily."
9. "As employees, drivers would lose the personal flexibility they value most."
10. "Blue falls on that spectrum, closer to brown than green, but it also has to do with the thickness of the glass itself and not just the color."
11. "We always have requests from doctors and clinical departments that well exceed their capital budgets."
12. "Tremendous honor – overwhelming."