July 04, 2017
The Oval, the pop-up on the Benjamin Franklin Parkway, will become The Oval+ this summer.
For the past four years, The Oval has offered a space that all ages can enjoy, with activities like free movie nights and fitness classes. This year, the park's footprint is expanding, and a unique art installation is being added.
There will be three open-air "rooms" to explore. One of the rooms will invite locals and city visitors to draw "what they imagine their Parkway to be" on a part of the new ground mural. The mural, designed by PORT Urbanism, will be painted by Mural Arts Philadelphia.
At night, the large installations will be illuminated from within, creating a glowing effect.
Other new features include a maze that winds through the park and stage for activities.
The Oval+ will feature the popular programming from past seasons. Below are highlights.
• Beer garden serving hot food, craft brews, wine and cocktails
• Wellness Wednesdays with power yoga classes by Yoga Habit and kickboxing from CKO
• Arts & Culture Thursdays featuring hip-hop classes and DJ dance parties
• Food & Flicks Fridays showing free popular movies at dusk
• Game Day Saturdays with Quizzo and music jam sessions in the beer garden
• Family Fun Sundays with kids’ DJ dance party in the beer garden
• Games like mini-golf, cornhole, ping-pong and giant chess and checkers
The pop-up will be open Wednesdays through Sundays from Thursday, July 20, through Sunday, Aug. 20.
Wednesdays through Sundays from Thursday, July 20 through Sunday, Aug. 20
2451 Benjamin Franklin Parkway