January 04, 2016
A woman's complaint -- which proved to be a severe misdiagnosis -- has sparked an online campaign to raise money for a woman who suffered a heart attack during a New Year's Eve celebration.
It happened at an Indianapolis bar called Kilroy's. After the joint's holiday party, a woman named Holly Jones who attended took to the establishment's Facebook page.
She claimed that rude staff and a "junkie's overdose" ruined her night, writing that she would never come back to the bar for New Year's Eve again. Here's what she wrote, via FOX 59:
“I will never go back to this location for New Year’s Eve!!! After the way we were treated when we spent 700+ and having our meal ruined by watching a dead person being wheeled out from an overdose my night has been ruined!!! Every year we have come to Kilroys to enjoy New Years Eve and tonight we were screamed at and had the manager walk away from use while (we) were trying to figure out our bill being messed up. The manager also told us someone dying was more important then us being there making us feel like our business didn’t matter, but I guess allowing a Junkie in the building to overdose on your property is more important then paying customers who are spending a lot of money!! Our waitress when we were trying to ask about our bill being messed up also said “what do you want me to do (expletive) pay your bill for you?” What a great way to talk to a paying customer! I get that working on New Years Eve (is) stressful but being a complete (expletive) to us all night knowing you get an automatic gratuity is not right!!!”
The problem: the woman Holly was referring to wasn't a "junkie." Instead, she was a 70-year-old woman who was suffering a heart attack. Manager Chris Burton replied to her comment, sarcastically chiding the woman. Here's what he said, also via FOX 59:
First of all, the “overdosing junkie” that you speak of was a 70-year-old woman who had a heart attack. Thankfully she was revived at the hospital and survived. It sounds like you were very concerned about her so I thought you should know. This poor lady, who was celebrating New Year’s Eve with her husband and son, had to be placed on the floor of a completely packed bar and have her shirt removed in front of everyone so the paramedics could work on her.
But I completely understand why you think being intoxicated (expletive) that didn’t understand your bill should take priority over a human life. I especially appreciate you making your server (who doesn’t curse) cry as well. I’m sure she really enjoyed working on New Year’s Eve just to deal with people such as yourself. I personally had to leave a show to take a phone call from an emotional manager telling me someone died at Kilroy’s and that other employees were not doing so well dealing with this. (At the time they didn’t know that she was going to make it.) So I understand how inconvenient this was for your night.
But honestly, I’m glad to hear you won’t be coming back to Kilroy’s because we wouldn’t want anyone as cold hearted and nasty as you returning. I appreciate anyone who chooses to spend their money at Kilroy’s until they act like you. You can take your money anywhere else after that, and I won’t lose a second of sleep over it. Happy New Year!
The story caught plenty of attention on social media, which caused Kilroy's to try and turn the whole thing into a positive.
In a Facebook post Sunday night, the bar says that although the woman survived, she has a long way to go in her recovery. They've launched a GoFundMe page for the woman, who's currently in critical care at an Indianapolis hospital.
The campaign has already doubled its goal of $5,000 with $10,595 from more than 300 donors as of Monday night.
In addition, the bar is asking for the Internet shaming to stop. They say there are plenty of people named Holly Jones in the Indianapolis area, and the original complainant has deleted her account.