August 09, 2015
Let's just get right to it:
• Josh Huff had a very active day. He had a great over the head catch on a deep ball. Those catches look easier than they are. He also brought in an off-target pass over the middle, and had an impressive TD catch in the back of the end zone. Huff looks like a much better player than he did a year ago. There were times during 2014 training camp when he looked like a running back trying to play receiver. But his hands and his route running have come a long way.
• Byron Maxwell continues to impress. I don't know if he'll live up to the massive contract he signed this offseason, but it's already crystal clear that he's an upgrade over Cary Williams and well, it's not really even worth noting Bradley Fletcher.
• Darren Sproles lit up JaCorey Shepherd on a run play, and Shepherd was down for a minute. He was able to get off the field with assistance, but was carted off into the locker room. Early word is that he injured his leg, but that is not confirmed. We'll update when more information comes in. Shepherd was the leader in the clubhouse to land Brandon Boykin's slot corner job.
• In previous notes posts, I had written that Trey Burton hasn't been very active. Well, today he had several nice plays, including a one-handed catch.
• There was one play that I absolutely loved from Malcolm Jenkins. Typically, when there are run plays, the RB will be tagged, and he'll still run the play out into the secondary anyway. In a red zone drill, DeMarco Murray was tagged and was looking to finish the run into the end zone. However, Malcolm Jenkins stood him up at the goal line and refused to let Murray in to the end zone. Loved that.
• Nelson Agholor's change of direction is very impressive. On a kick return, he stuck his foot in the ground, mid-sprint, made a 90 degree cut, and lost almost no speed at all. That was joy-stick stuff. Impressive.
• Eric Rowe flashed a bit today. He looked very athletic on a diving pass breakup.
• A pair of drops for Zach Ertz today. During his rookie season, Ertz lost playing time early because of a few drops during the preseason. Ertz has been tremendous this camp, but he's not yet an elite pass catcher from a hands perspective.
• RG update! Second day in a row for Julian Vandervelde running with the first team offense. Here's how it has gone from the start of camp:
• Cowboys fans (aided by money from Cowboys defensive end Greg Hardy) flew a dumb banner over the stadium during the National Anthem. The Cowboys, their fans, and Greg Hardy hate America. Hardy even says so on his match.com profile:
Follow Jimmy on Twitter: @JimmyKempski