December 03, 2022
The Philadelphia Eagles suffered a significant injury in Week 12, when they lost Chauncey Gardner-Johnson for an undetermined amount of time with a lacerated kidney. Their Week 13 opponent, the Tennessee Titans, will have their share of players missing in this game, including starting LT Taylor Lewan, star edge rusher Harold Landry, team sack leader Denico Autry, and slot corner Elijah Molden.
Here's the Eagles-Titans injury report, with analysis.
|S Chauncey Gardner-Johnson||Kidney||DNP||DNP||DNP||Out|
|WR DeVonta Smith||Groin||Limited||Limited||Full||-|
|WR Zach Pascal||Groin||Limited||Limited||Full||-|
|LB Patrick Johnson||Ankle||Limited||Full||Full||-|
|DE Robert Quinn||Knee||-||-||DNP||Out|
Wednesday notes (walkthrough only, practice report designations are estimates):
• Chauncey Gardner-Johnson hasn't yet been placed on injured reserve, but there's no rush for the Eagles to make that move. If they intend on activating Jordan Davis from injured reserve, they can simply put Gardner-Johnson on at that time, which might not happen until Saturday.
• No real changes.
• Quinn is a late addition to the injury report, and he is out. Meh.
• The Eagles placed S Chauncey Gardner-Johnson on IR, and activated DT Jordan Davis. More on that here.
• TE Dallas Goedert (IR - Week 11): Goedert has 43 receptions for 533 yards and 3 TDs, and has been one of the most efficient pass catchers in the NFL the last two seasons, in addition to his above average blocking skills. He is a top five type of tight end with no obvious flaws in his game who rarely comes off the field. The Eagles have missed Goedert in their two games without him, as there has been a pretty obvious dropoff from him to the trio of Jack Stoll, Grant Calcaterra, and Tyree Jackson, as expected.
• S Chauncey Gardner-Johnson (Week 13): Gardner-Johnson lacerated a kidney in the Eagles' win over the Green Bay Packers last Sunday night. He will miss a minimum of four games (Titans, at Giants, at Bears, at Cowboys). Earlier this week we spoke with a urologist, who explained the unpredictability in pinning down precise timelines for recovery from kidney injuries. The Eagles evidently felt that Gardner-Johnson would not be healed in time for the team's trip to Dallas on Christmas Eve.
Undrafted rookie Reed Blankenship filled in for Gardner-Johnson against the Packers. He showed some good, and some bad (more good than bad) in that game, in case you missed our breakdown of him from earlier this week. We're going to get to know Blankenship well over the next month.
• CB Avonte Maddox (IR - Week 10): Maddox is the Eagles' starting slot corner. He was replaced in the lineup by Josiah Scott, who the Commanders, Colts, and Packers have successfully attacked with their best receivers the last three weeks.
• DE Derek Barnett (IR - Week 2): Barnett tore his ACL Week 1 against the Lions, and his season is over. After a 2021 season in which he had 8 penalties vs. 2.5 sacks, Barnett lost his starting job, but remained a depth player poised to get his share of snaps in 2022.
• DT Marlon Tuipulotu (IR - Week 11): Tuipulotu has 16 tackles, a sack, and a fumble recovery in a rotational role this season.
|DE Denico Autry||Knee||DNP||DNP||DNP||Out|
|DT Jeffery Simmons||Ankle||DNP||DNP||Limited||Questionable|
|CB Elijah Molden||Groin||DNP||DNP||DNP||Out|
|WR Cody Hollister||Neck||Limited||DNP||DNP||Out|
|QB Ryan Tannehill||Ankle||Full||Full||Full||-|
|C Ben Jones||Concussion||Full||Full||Limited||-|
|K Randy Bullock||Calf||Full||Full||Full||-|
|WR Treylon Burks||Illness||-||DNP||Full||-|
|OG Nate Davis||Knee||-||DNP||Limited||-|
|RB Derrick Henry||Not injury related||-||DNP||Full||-|
|RB Hassan Haskins||Hip||-||-||Limited||Questionable|
• Autry leads the Titans with 7 sacks. He missed the Titans' Week 12 game against the Bengals.
• Simmons is an elite DT, not unlike Fletcher Cox in his prime.
• Molden is the Titans' slot corner. He has only been able to play in two games this season.
• The addition of Nate Davis (knee) is noteworthy. He is the Titans' starting RG.
• Autry is out. That's a big loss.
• Molden is also out. Terrance Mitchell will likely get his snaps. The Titans picked up Mitchell off of the Patriots' practice squad in September.
• LT Taylor Lewan (IR - Week 3): Lewan is the Titans' starting LT, and a three-time Pro Bowl player. He tore an ACL Week 2, and his season is over. Dennis Daley has filled in at LT for the Titans.
• OLB Harold Landry (IR - season ending): Landry had a Pro Bowl season in 2021, when he racked up 75 tackles, 12 sacks, and 22 QB hits. He tore an ACL just before the start of the season.
• LB Zach Cunningham (IR - Week 10): Cunningham injured his elbow Week 9 against the Chiefs, and was placed on IR. He is a starting linebacker for the Titans who had 24 tackles in five games this season.
• CB Caleb Farley (IR - Week 10): Farley has a herniated disc in his back, and his season is reportedly over. He was a first-round pick of the Titans in the 2021 draft, but was a reserve corner for Tennessee this season. This is more of a long-term setback for that Titans than a short-term one.
• CB Lonnie Johnson (Week 11): Another reserve corner.
• LB Ola Adeniyi (Week 6): Adeniyi is a rotational pass rusher who had 21 tackles and 2.5 sacks in 2021. He has only played 41 snaps in the regular defense this season.
• WR Kyle Philips (Week 7): Philips was a preseason star for the Titans, who has had 8 catches for 78 yards in the regular season.