February 23, 2017
With the Oscars taking place this weekend, I’m sure you’re all looking forward to seeing your favorite actors and celebrities strutting it on the red carpet, decked out in the most elaborate gowns, jewels and designer duds.
But just in case you’re not invited to the most glamorous party of the year, that doesn’t mean you don’t deserve a little red carpet treatment.
First thing on the agenda for any special event should be your complexion.
In honor of the 89th Academy Awards, we’ve put together a quick and simple guide on how to get your skin looking radiant and red-carpet ready for any occasion.
You’ve got some serious dead skin to shed, and exfoliation is the solution.
• On clean skin, use a gentle scrub to buff away and lift dead skin cells off the surface.
• Your lips will need a little love too, so scrub away the dry and flaky skin to reveal a perfectly smooth pout.
• An alpha-hydroxy treatment will help to clear your pores and leave your skin glowing. Try an exfoliating toner, such as Biologique Recherche Lotion P50 1970, available at Rescue Spa. An alternative is to use a gentle peel instead.
For a healthy glow, you’ll want to stimulate circulation with a self-massage.
• Apply a facial oil or cream and work upwards, starting at the neck, making sure you cover each section of your face while lifting the skin as you move up.
• Circle the eyes to drain excess fluid, de-puff and detoxify.
• Relax and breathe deeply. Once your skin takes on a healthy pinkish color, you can remove the oil with a damp washcloth.
A good mask and eye treatment should help to plump, rejuvenate and give your skin new life.
• Apply a hydrating mask in an even layer and leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes.
• In the meantime, you can also use an eye treatment to de-puff, lift and open up the eyes for a fresh, wide-awake look.
For skin that looks naturally healthy and radiant, you’ll want to layer multiple products.
• Start with a hydrating mist to moisten the complexion and allow your products to penetrate.
• Next, quench dehydrated skin by applying a light hydrating serum, followed by your favorite moisturizer.
• Use a rich eye cream around the eyes and moisturize your lips with a luxurious lip balm.
• One final spray of toner will give your skin a lovely sheen and dewy finish, leaving you with a perfect canvas for a flawless makeup application.
Remember, that no matter what the occasion, a glowing complexion is a surefire way to help you channel your inner Hollywood goddess and make you feel like a million dollars. Although, have to admit, a designer gown doesn’t hurt either.
Joanna Kula is a skin-care expert and licensed esthetician at Rescue Spa in Center City, Philadelphia.