August 17, 2023
The Philadelphia Eagles will play their first game (sort of) in front of the hometown fans Thursday night, as the Cleveland Browns are in town for preseason game No. 2, scheduled for 7:30 p.m. We'll all watch, because that's what we do, and there's plenty to keep an eye on.
Once again, Nick Sirianni gave no clues on playing time... because... um... 🤷♂️. But there should be plenty to watch:
Feel free to discuss the game below in the comments section, and stay tuned for live updates and highlights as we go.
• 11:01 p.m.: After York misses on a field-goal attempt for what would've been the Cleveland lead, McKee and the Eagles' third-stringers get one last shot, but the drive ultimately goes nowhere, ending on a 4th and 17 punt after a sack of McKee on 3rd and 10.
The Browns' ensuing drive to try and pull out a win with only 32 seconds left doesn't develop into anything either.
It's a preseason tie, 18-18. But it's preseason, so it really doesn't matter.
Check out Shamus Clancy's final observations HERE.
And check out the hands from Jalen Hurts:
Jalen Hurts catches a pass from Cleveland's QB, fires it to someone in the stands pic.twitter.com/nUc40WaPcO— CJ Fogler account may or may not be notable (@cjzero) August 18, 2023
• 10:36 p.m.: McKee leads another scoring drive, this time to tie it up late. First with a 21-yard pass to Joseph Ngata, then after a few short-gain plays to chip away, a 22-yard TD pass to tight end Brady Russell on 4th and 1, and a successful two-point conversion to receiver Johnny King. All knotted up at 18.
• 10:35 p.m.: The Eagles announce that Ojomo also has a neck injury, but has movement in all of his extremities.
• 10:24 p.m.: The stretcher comes out again. This time for Moro Ojomo, who made waves at defensive tackle this summer. Mond took off scrambling on a play for Cleveland and Ojomo was injured giving chase.
• 10:19 p.m.: Tanner McKee drives the Eagles downfield – highlighted by a 35-yard pass to tight end Tyree Jackson, who was wide open over the middle of the field – but couldn't finish it off in the red zone, failing to convert on a 4th and goal play. McKee rolled right and tried to get a pass to Deon Cain in the back of the end zone, but Cain couldn't get a hold of it on the way down. Incompletion. Turnover on downs.
• 10:08 p.m.: The Browns tack on another field goal after a 10-play, 32-yard drive to make it an 18-10 game. Cade York makes the kick from 43 yards out.
• 9:56 p.m.: The Eagles announced that Cleveland sustained a neck injury but has movement in all of his extremities.
• 9:52 p.m.: Kellen Mond tosses one up for receiver Austin Watkins, who bobbles it all the way to the end zone for a 32-yard touchdown. Eli Ricks and Justin Evans both whiffed trying to tackle. Sydney Brown wasn't in time, but still booked it straight to Watkins trying to strip the ball at the goal line anyway. Browns go up 15-10 in the third.
• 9:46 p.m.: Camp standout Tyrie Cleveland took an ugly spill headfirst into the grass going up for a 50-50 ball. With teammates down on one knee in concern, Cleveland was loaded onto a stretcher. The crowd did the wave while this was happening. Awful look.
Eagles teammates and Browns players both wished Cleveland well as he was put on the cart, and the crowd did snap out of it to give him an ovation as he was driven off.
• 9:38 p.m.: Reserve center Josh Andrews has also left the game with an ankle injury. He's been ruled out.
• 9:29 p.m.: Tanner McKee checks in under center to begin the second half and Trey Sermon breaks off a huge 33-yard touchdown run to put the Eagles up 10-8.
• 9:12 p.m.: A Mariota sack while looking for a shot downfield takes us into halftime. Not much doing offensively for either side as the Browns lead it 8-3. You can check out Shamus Clancy's first-half observations HERE.
• 9:01 p.m.: A Trey Sermon fumble in Eagles territory turns back around into a Cleveland field goal. 8-3 Browns with time winding down in the first half.
• 8:49 p.m.: Nolan Smith and Olamide Zaccheaus are both questionable to return with shoulder injuries. McPhearson (ankle) is out.
• 8:42 p.m.: Browns tack on a field goal to take a 5-3 lead with just over six minutes left in the half. Neither offense doing much so far tonight.
• 8:38 p.m.: The Eagles' injuries halfway through the second quarter:
So to recap, we're 19 minutes into this game and three Eagles players - Nolan Smith, Olamide Zaccheaus, and Zech McPhearson - have all gone inside with injuries.— Jimmy Kempski (@JimmyKempski) August 18, 2023
Zaccheaus is back on the sideline, however.
• 8:28 p.m.: Zech McPhearson is also down after batting a pass that nearly got intercepted by defensive tackle Kentavius Street. He needed help off the field, unable to put much weight on his right leg.
• 8:23 p.m.: Nolan Smith chases down Anthony Schwartz on a reverse and drags him down, but a collision with Kelee Ringo trying to complete the tackle leaves Smith favoring his shoulder as the rookie edge rusher heads to the medical tent.
• 8:15 p.m.: After Rashaad Penny broke for a 16-yard run, Mariota overthrows Grant Calcaterra over the middle and gets picked off by Cleveland safety Ronnie Hickman. Mariota's accuracy has been spotty tonight.
• 8:12 p.m.: The Browns run a pitch on 2nd and 10 from their own 10, and after John Kelly made it six yards up, Sydney Brown was there to hit him like a freight train. The drive would go on to be a three-and-out for Cleveland.
Sydney Brown might be my favorite Eagle of all time— Shane Haff (@ShaneHaffNFL) August 18, 2023
But maybe pic.twitter.com/5L0oGJdwu8
• 8:04 p.m.: Marcus Mariota and the Eagles' second-string offense took over at their own 28 and made it far enough downfield for Jake Elliott to hit on a 56-yard field goal to go up 3-2 late in the first quarter. Kenny Gainwell broke a decent run for 8 yards, and Mariota connected with Greg Ward on a post for 14 yards. On the whole, the drive went 34 yards on nine plays.
• 7:56 p.m.: Defensive linemen Jordan Davis and Jalen Carter didn't come back out for the Eagles' second defensive series. It looks like their work for the night is done.
Looks like just one series for Jordan Davis and Jalen Carter tonight. They weren't in on the Eagles' second defensive series.— Jimmy Kempski (@JimmyKempski) August 17, 2023
• 7:52 p.m.: But pinned way back at their own 2 yard line from the fumble recovery, a run play for Kenny Gainwell breaks down and he gets tackled in the end zone. Safety. Browns go up 2-0.
• 7:48 p.m.: What was becoming a rough first series for Dean turned around quickly. After getting pushed outside trying to stop the run, then getting flagged for unnecessary roughness when he launched at a sliding Dorian Thompson-Robinson, Dean stripped the ball loose from running back John Kelly on 1st and goal to swing possession over to the Eagles. Dean was amped, and was so was head coach Nick Sirianni as Dean made his way back to the sideline.
• 7:37 p.m.: We're underway down at the Linc. Eagles kick off to start. The bulk of the starters are out, but Nakobe Dean is dressed and getting time at linebacker.
Like us on Facebook: PhillyVoice Sports
Add Jimmy's RSS feed to your feed reader