January 06, 2017
Prosecutors aren't on board with Bill Cosby's request for a venue change during his upcoming trial, but aren't opposed to bringing in an outside jury, the Associated Press reported Thursday.
Last week, the 79-year-old comedian's lawyers requested to move his trial from Norristown because of "extensive, sustained and pervasive" news coverage of his pretrial hearings.
The Montgomery County Prosecutor's Office filed the response that said the change of venue wouldn't be necessary for a fair trial, the Legal Intelligencer reported. They also said that while they don't oppose an outside jury, that Cosby shouldn't be granted a group with no knowledge of the case.
"At the hearings, he wants to use his resources to manufacture a case for the venire of his personal preference," the response said, according to the publication. "That is not permitted by law. Once this court orders a change in venire, it is the Pennsylvania Supreme Court that selects the locale."
Cosby's defense team claimed that he has been a part of an "inflammatory and prejudicial smear campaign."
Cosby was charged with aggravated sexual assault last December. Cosby is accused of drugging and molesting Andrea Constand in 2004 while she was working for Temple University, Cosby's alma mater.
His trial is scheduled in June.