March 20, 2023
The Philadelphia Eagles will be signing former Tampa Bay Buccaneers and New Orleans Saints safety Justin Evans, according to a report from Ian Rapoport of NFL Network.
The #Eagles are signing former #Bucs and #Saints free agent safety Justin Evans, per me and @MikeGarafolo. Evans helps fill a void at safety.— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) March 20, 2023
Evans was a Bucs second-round pick (50th overall) in 2017 out of Texas A&M. He had a productive rookie season in 2017 (in the stat sheet, at least), when he had 66 tackles, 3 INTs, and 6 pass breakups. However, his career has since been derailed by injuries.
• In 2017, he was placed on injured reserve with an ankle injury, and he missed the last 2 games of the regular season.
• In 2018, he missed six games with a toe injury, once again landing on injured reserve to finish the season.
• In 2019, he missed the entirety of the season with an Achilles injury.
• In 2020, he started training camp on the PUP list, and was waived in December with a failed physical designation.
• In 2021, he wasn't on an NFL roster.
• In 2022, he signed with the Saints and played in 15 games, starting four. He missed the last two games with a shoulder injury.
Evans will have a chance to show what he can do in Eagles training camp, but he probably should not be penciled in just yet as a starting replacement for either Chauncey Gardner-Johnson or Marcus Epps.
Updated Eagles depth chart here.
Follow Jimmy & PhillyVoice on Twitter: @JimmyKempski | thePhillyVoice
Like us on Facebook: PhillyVoice Sports
Add Jimmy's RSS feed to your feed reader