More News:

February 19, 2016

Two men charged in rape, murder of Cape May County teen

15-year-old Nicole Angstadt, of Erma, was found dead inside a vacant property after she was reported missing in December

Arrests Homicide
021916_NicoleAngstadt Source /Cape May County Prosecutor's Office

Nicole Angstadt.

Prosecutors in Cape May County have filed charges against two men they say raped a 15-year-old girl before murdering her and leaving her in the crawl space of a vacant property.

Nicole Angstadt, of Erma, was reported missing by her family on Dec. 1, 2015. Police discovered her body two weeks later inside the vacant property at 100 Vermont Ave. in Rio Grande, according to Shore News Today

On Dec. 14, 23-year-old Derrick Powers, of Rio Grande, was arrested and charged in connection with two armed robberies -- one in Lower Township on Dec. 5 and another in Middle Township on Dec. 8. LaQuan Harris, a second suspect unrelated to the Angstadt case, was also charged with the robberies.

On the day Powers was arrested, investigators learned that 33-year-old Charles Mosley, of Rio Grande, was involved in a sexual relationship with Angstadt. He was initially charged with second-degree sexual assault, trespassing and endangering the welfare of a minor, but authorities eventually linked Mosley to Powers in the alleged murder of Angstadt.

Neighbors of the home where Angstadt was found said that the property had been vacant since last summer and local teenagers had been using it as a hangout.

Angstadt's older sister, Heather, described her as the life of the party and said she wouldn't wish her fate on anyone. Family and friends have set up a GoFundMe page for those who wish to support them with donations. 

Prosecutors have charged Derrick Powers and Charles Mosley with first-degree murder, first-degree murder during the course of a sexual assault, first-degree conspiracy to commit murder, and second-degree conspiracy to desecrate a body. Mosley is additionally charged with second-degree desecrating human remains and aggravated assault.

Both suspects are being held on $1 million bail. If convicted of murder, they each face between 30 years and life in prison.