Need something to read on the beach this summer?
Amazon has chosen "City of Girls" by Elizabeth Gilbert, author of "Eat, Pray, Love," as the best book of 2019 so far.
The novel is a love story set in the 1940s New York City theater world, told from the perspective of an older woman looking back at her youth.
Each year, Amazon publishes two lists. There's the Best Books of the Year So Far, which is published in June, and the Best Books of the Year, which comes out in December.
The best books of 2019 so far, chosen by Amazon editors, includes a novel by Philadelphia-based author Jennifer Weiner, a memoir by famous food writer and restaurant critic Ruth Reichl, and a book that takes readers behind the scenes of a therapist's world, which is currently being developed into a TV series with Eva Longoria and ABC.
Check out the full list below to find your next beach read.
Top 20 Picks for Best Books of the Year So Far
- "City of Girls" by Elizabeth Gilbert
- "The Silent Patient" by Alex Michaelides
- "Once More We Saw Stars: A Memoir" by Jayson Greene
- "Mrs. Everything" by Jennifer Weiner
- "The Night Tiger" by Yangsze Choo
- "Daisy Jones & The Six" by Taylor Jenkins Reid
- "Underland: A Deep Time Journey" by Robert Macfarlane
- "The Unwinding of the Miracle: A Memoir of Life, Death, and Everything That Comes After" by Julie Yip-Williams
- "Save Me the Plums: My Gourmet Memoir" by Ruth Reichl
- "Cari Mora" by Thomas Harris
- "Ask Again, Yes: A Novel" by Mary Beth Keane
- "The Parisian" by Isabella Hammad
- "Maybe You Should Talk to Someone: A Therapist, HER Therapist, and Our Lives Revealed" by Lori Gottlieb
- "Miracle Creek: A Novel" by Angie Kim
- "Formation: A Woman's Memoir of Stepping Out of Line" by Ryan Leigh Dostie
- "The Guest Book: A Novel" by Sarah Blake
- "A Woman Is No Man: A Novel" by Etaf Rum
- "The River: A Novel" by Peter Heller
- "On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous: A Novel" by Ocean Vuong
- "Say Nothing: A True Story of Murder and Memory in Northern Ireland" by Patrick Radden Keefe
Follow Sinéad & PhillyVoice on Twitter: @sineadpatrice | @thePhillyVoice
Like us on Facebook: PhillyVoice
Add Sinéad's RSS feed to your feed reader
Have a news tip? Let us know.