September 25, 2016
The Philadelphia Eagles and Pittsburgh Steelers both have short injury lists, although both teams will be without key contributors for their matchup Sunday afternoon.
Here are the Eagles' and Steelers' inactives:
• TE Zach Ertz: The Eagles are likely to once again lean on Trey Burton as a receiving weapon from the tight end spot, as Burton played well Week 2 against the Chicago Bears, making five receptions for 49 yards and a touchdown.
• CB Leodis McKelvin: The Eagles will only have three cornerbacks active on game day. That could be problematic against a Steelers passing attack that includes a top five type of receiver in Antonio Brown as well as other talented receivers, as we noted in our five matchups to watch.
• C/G Isaac Seumalo: Seumalo was inactive in each of the Eagles' first two games this season, and he will be inactive once again Week 3. Doug Pederson said that free acquisition Stefen Wisniewski is likely to start at LG Week 5 after the bye against the Lions if Lane Johnson is suspended.
• WR Bryce Treggs: Treggs was out Week 1 with a knee injury. For the last two weeks, he has been a healthy scratch.
"It's tough to keep the five receivers up, just based on what you need; defense, special teams and all that," said Doug Pederson earlier this week. "He's shown flashes of his speed in practice, doing a nice job there."
• OL Dillon Gordon: Gordon is a versatile player the Eagles want to develop over time, but he'll be inactive for the foreseeable future.
• OL Halapoulivaati Vaitai: Again, Vaitai is a project at this point, unlikely to see the field barring injuries.
• OL Josh Andrews: Aaaaaand that makes four offensive linemen who are inactive for the third straight week.
• CB Senquez Golson: Golson was the Steelers second-round pick in the 2015 NFL Draft. He suffered a Lisfranc injury during training camp.
• C/G Cody Wallace: Wallace started all 16 games a season ago for the Steelers. He is the primary backup at all three interior OL spots. If the Steelers lose an offensive lineman, they'll be thin there against Fletcher Cox and Bennie Logan.
• FB Roosevelt Nix: Pittsburgh will be without their effective fullback in short yardage situations.
• QB Zach Mettenberger: Mettenberger is the Steelers' third quarterback. I'll save you a google search of the Steelers' primary backup -- It's Landry Jones.
• LB Steven Johnson: Deep depth.
• C/G Chris Hubbard: Ditto
• DL L.T. Walton: Ditto x2.
• RB Le'Veon Bell: Bell was suspended for four games for violating the league's substance abuse policy, which was later reduced to a three-game suspension, meaning that the star back will still miss the Week 3 matchup against the Eagles.
• WR Martavis Bryant: Bryant was suspended for the entire season for violating the league's substance abuse policy multiple times. Bryant had 765 receiving yards and 6 TDs in 11 games in 2015.
Follow Jimmy on Twitter: @JimmyKempski
Like Jimmy on Facebook.