August 02, 2021
With the average cost of a four-year college education in Pennsylvania approaching $28,000, saving for your child’s future is no simple task. By the time my two young sons go to college, it will cost even more.
That’s where The College Tuition Benefit comes in for members of an Independence Blue Cross (Independence) health plan. It’s a value-added service that helps ease some of the stress associated with paying for college.
The benefit works much like a scholarship program; you earn SAGE Scholars Tuition Rewards Points to help offset the cost of a four-year education. One Tuition Rewards Point is equal to a $1 guaranteed minimum discount off full tuition to colleges and universities all over the U.S.
The best part is, you can sponsor not only your own children, but also your grandchildren, nieces, nephews, stepchildren, and godchildren.*
If you’re an Independence member, you can begin earning Tuition Rewards as soon as you sign up. Simply log in to ibx.com, click on Health & Well-being, and then on Value-Added Services. Right away, you will earn 2,000 points when you sign up. Then, each student you register will receive 500 points.
Each year you remain an Independence subscriber, you will earn 2,000 points. And during your fourth year, you will earn an additional 2,500 points. That’s 4,500 points in year four. You may also be able to receive retroactive Tuition Rewards Points back to the date you initially became an Independence subscriber.** So, the sooner you sign up and enroll the special kids in your life, the more points you’ll accrue to use for their college tuition!
My kids are still young, but eventually, they might need some guidance in choosing the right colleges and majors. Today, an estimated 20 to 50 percent of students are entering college as undecided. And an estimated 75 percent change their majors at some point before graduation.
Ready Set College provides students on the brink of high school graduation and their parents with proven strategies to achieve successful college outcomes. This website has the tools and resources students need to prepare for college:
• Complete interest surveys and explore career options
• Use custom calculators to plan how to pay for college
• Access resources for college preparation, admission, and funding
• Create a student profile for your child so that colleges and universities can get to know your child better
• Explore the over 400 nationally-ranked colleges and universities eligible for The College Tuition Benefit Tuition Rewards
• Match majors with career paths and colleges
• Plan campus visits to colleges that interest your child
If your child is already thinking about life after high school, Ready Set College is the perfect place to get started. Visit readysetcollege.org to learn more.
This content was originally published on IBX Insights.
As director of member marketing at Independence Blue Cross, Erin Thurston is accountable for the member outreach strategy and multi-channel execution of communications for the Commercial segment. Additionally, her team manages the acquisition marketing and retention efforts for the under-65 individual and family health plans. Outside of IBX, Erin is a wife and a mom of two young boys. As a former collegiate athlete, she enjoys attending her boys’ sporting events and all things fitness.
* Subject to certain restrictions. The Tuition Rewards program is provided by The College Tuition Benefit, an independent company. Neither The College Tuition Benefit nor SAGE Scholars, Inc. provide Blue Cross products or services.
** Exclusions apply; this is not a feature available to Independence FOC employees.