Who says you can’t have spaghetti and meatballs just because you're vegan? These South
Philly vegan meatballs are loaded with flavor and can be enjoyed by all!
South Philly Vegan Meatballs
• 1 can of chickpeas (15-oz.), drained and rinsed (save the liquid)
• 1.5 onions, diced
• 3 garlic cloves, chopped
• 1 carrot, large, peeled, and diced
• 1 zucchini, chopped
• 1 cup of fresh kale stems trimmed, well-washed, and dried
• 1 lemon
• 1 tablespoon of fennel seed
• 1 tablespoon of red pepper flakes
• 1 teaspoon of fresh oregano
• 1 teaspoon of fresh thyme leaves
• ¼ cup of chickpea water (saved from can)
• 2 cups of all-purpose flour or chickpea flour
Drain a can of chickpeas, saving the liquid and setting aside.
Combine diced onion, chopped garlic, diced carrot, chopped squash, and
kale in a food processor. Blend until minced.
Add a half cup of olive oil into a pan. Pour the veggie mixture in the
pan and cook, stirring often.
Add the drained chickpeas to the food processor. Blend until smooth.
Add the fennel seed, red pepper flakes, oregano, and fresh thyme to the
cooking vegetables. When the spices are aromatic, remove the vegetables
Place the blended chickpeas into a bowl. After the veggies have cooled,
add them to the chickpeas. Mix with a spoon to combine. Stir in the
lemon zest, juice, and add salt to taste.
Add the flour and the chickpea water. Mix again. Add more flour as
needed until balls can be formed.
Heat oil in pan for frying. Place balls in oil, turning over to fry all
sides. Remove when browned, and place on a paper towel to allow the
excess oil to drain. Serve warm.
Saturated Fat: 0g
Browse an entire library of healthy recipes