December 07, 2021
Pennsylvania Hospital and several Jefferson Health and Virtua Health hospitals have been rated among the nation's best for maternity care by U.S. News & World Report.
The publication recognized 237 hospitals for their child labor and delivery services as part of its inaugural Best Hospitals for Maternity list. The hospitals were not ranked numerically.
U.S. News' methodology was based upon an evaluation of data related to uncomplicated pregnancies at hospitals. The metrics included the number of early elective deliveries, the amount of cesarean sections performed on low-risk women, the likelihood of newborn complications, breastmilk feeding rates and whether a hospital offered vaginal birth after a C-section.
Hospitals that had fewer newborn complications, early deliveries and C-sections tended to perform childbirths better, according to the publication.
Pennsylvania Hospital in Philadelphia was credited for its low number of early deliveries, C-sections and newborn complications. The facility was identified as having higher-than-average breastfeeding rates and providing vaginal birth to pregnant patients who previously underwent a C-section.
Jefferson Health Hospital in Abington, Chester County Hospital in West Chester and Paoli Hospital also were recognized for their maternity care services.
Below are the 10 hospitals in Pennsylvania that made U.S. News' ranking:
• Pennsylvania Hospital, Philadelphia
• Jefferson Health Hospital, Abington
• Chester County Hospital, West Chester
• Paoli Hospital, Paoli
• Lancaster General Hospital, Lancaster
• Reading Hospital, West Reading
• Geisinger Medical Center, Danville
• Excela Health Westmoreland Hospital, Greensburg
• Geisinger-Bloomsburg Hospital, Bloomsburg
• Mount Nittany Medical Center, State College
In South Jersey, Jefferson Health's Stratford, Cherry Hill and Washington Township hospitals, as well as Virtua Health's Voorhees and Camden facilities, were identified as high-performing. Inspira Medical Center in Elmer, Salem County also was named to the list.
Below are the 17 New Jersey hospitals that were recognized:
• Jefferson Health Hospital, Stratford
• Jefferson Health Hospital, Cherry Hill
• Jefferson Health Hospital, Washington Township
• Virtua Health Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital, Camden
• Virtua Health Hospital, Voorhees
• Inspira Medical Center, Elmer
• Capital Health Medical Center, Pennington
• Chilton Medical Center, Pompton Plains
• Englewood Hospital and Medical Center, Englewood
• Hackensack Meridian Health Pascack Valley Medical Center, Westwood
• Hackensack Meridian Health Raritan Bay Medical Center, Perth Amboy
• Jersey Shore University Medical Center, Neptune City
• Morristown Medical Center, Morristown
• Newton Medical Center, Newton
• Ocean University Medical Center, Brick
• Overlook Medical Center, Summit
• Riverview Medical Center, Red Bank