May 14, 2018
Each year, CG Technology posts very early point spreads for every game during the upcoming NFL season, with the exception of Week 17, since the final week of the season can be extraordinarily unpredictable due to teams resting their starters, and whatnot.
Via ESPN, here are CG Technology's early spreads for the Eagles this season:
• Week 1: Atlanta Falcons at Philadelphia Eagles (-4)
• Week 2: Philadelphia Eagles (-3) at Tampa Bay Buccaneers
• Week 3: Indianapolis Colts at Philadelphia Eagles (-10)
• Week 4: Philadelphia Eagles (-1.5) at Tennessee Titans
• Week 5: Minnesota Vikings at Philadelphia Eagles (-3.5)
• Week 6: Philadelphia Eagles (-3) at New York Giants
• Week 7: Carolina Panthers at Philadelphia Eagles (-6)
• Week 8: Philadelphia Eagles at Jacksonville Jaguars (PK)
• Week 9: Bye
• Week 10: Dallas Cowboys at Philadelphia Eagles (-5.5)
• Week 11: Philadelphia Eagles at New Orleans Saints (-2)
• Week 12: New York Giants at Philadelphia Eagles (-8.5)
• Week 13: Washington Redskins at Philadelphia Eagles (-7.5)
• Week 14: Philadelphia Eagles at Dallas Cowboys (PK)
• Week 15: Philadelphia Eagles at Los Angeles Rams (-1)
• Week 16: Houston Texans at Philadelphia Eagles (-5.5)
Vegas has the Eagles as favorites in 11 games, underdogs (dust off your dog masks) in two games, and 50-50 shots in two games. Had they included the Week 17 game against the Redskins, the Eagles would likely be early favorites in that game, as well.
When we published our week-by-week win-loss predictions shortly after the official schedule release, we ended up at 13-3, with two of the Birds' projected losses matching up with two of the games above where they are early underdogs. In other words, we more or less agree with the spreads above, and don't believe there's anying overly eye-opening to note.
It's perhaps a minor surprise that the Eagles would be double-digits favorites so early in the season against the Colts. That might indicate that Vegas is not sold that Andrew Luck is returning to the field anytime soon. I also found that the Eagles-Cowboys Week 14 "pick em'" line a little surprising, though that may just be Vegas accounting for delusional Cowboys fans who think Dallas is going to run the table every year, and
bet throw their money away accordingly.
Follow Jimmy on Twitter: @JimmyKempski.
Like Jimmy on Facebook.
Like the new PhillyVoice Sports page on Facebook.