If you're searching for a last-minute gift to buy, look no further. Amazon has published its list of the 20 best books of 2019, picked by its editors.
From memoirs to mysteries, there's something for everyone on your holiday shopping list.
Taking the top spot is "The Testaments: The Sequel to The Handmaid's Tale" by Margaret Atwood. The novel opens up 15 years after the events of "The Handmaid's Tale" and is narrated by three distinct characters: Aunt Lydia, Agnes and Daisy.
Also on the list is "Three Women," a non-fiction book that covers the sexual and emotional lives of three different women in the United States; Pulitzer Prize-winner Colson Whitehead's "The Nickel Boys," set during the Civil Rights movement and based on a true story of a reform school in Florida; and "The Silent Patient," a twisty thriller that skyrocketed to No. 1 on The New York Times Best-Seller List.
Check out the full list below.
Amazon Editors' Top 20 Best Books of 2019
- "The Testaments: The Sequel to The Handmaid's Tale" by Margaret Atwood
- "The Nickel Boys: A Novel" by Colson Whitehead
- "Wild Game: My Mother, Her Lover, and Me" by Adrienne Brodeur
- "Quichotte: A Novel" by Salman Rushdie
- "The Starless Sea: A Novel" by Erin Morgenstern
- "Super Pumped: The Battle for Uber" by Mike Isaac
- "City of Girls: A Novel" by Elizabeth Gilbert
- "They Called Us Enemy" by George Takei, Justin Eisinger and Steven Scott
- "The Silent Patient" by Alex Michaelides
- "Maybe You Should Talk to Someone: A Therapist, HER Therapist, and Our Lives Revealed" by Lori Gottlieb
- "The Dutch House: A Novel" by Ann Patchett
- "Red at the Bone: A Novel" by Jacqueline Woodson
- "Ask Again, Yes: A Novel" by Mary Beth Keane
- "The World That We Knew: A Novel" by Alice Hoffman
- "On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous: A Novel" by Ocean Vuong
- "I Will Never See the World Again: The Memoir of an Imprisoned Writer" by Ahmet Altan, translated by Yasemin Congar
- "The Water Dancer: A Novel" by Ta-Nehisi Coates
- "Ninth House" by Leigh Bardugo
- "Three Women" by Lisa Taddeo
- "Things We Didn't Talk About When I Was a Girl: A Memoir" by Jeannie Vanasco
In the summer, Amazon published its list of the 20 best books of 2019 so far. "City of Girls" was the winner. The other books that made both lists are "The Silent Patient," "Maybe You Should Talk to Someone: A Therapist, HER Therapist, and Our Lives Revealed," "Ask Again, Yes: A Novel," and "On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous: A Novel."
Follow Sinéad & PhillyVoice on Twitter: @sineadpatrice | @thePhillyVoice
Like us on Facebook: PhillyVoice
Add Sinéad's RSS feed to your feed reader
Have a news tip? Let us know.