September 13, 2023
The Philadelphia Eagles did not have any players with an injury designation heading into their Week 1 matchup against the New England Patriots. However, several players got banged up in that game, and they'll only have a few days to try to heal up for their Thursday night matchup against the Minnesota Vikings.
Here's the Eagles-Vikings injury report, with analysis.
|S Reed Blankenship||Ribs||DNP||DNP||DNP||Out|
|CB James Bradberry||Concussion||DNP||DNP||DNP||Out|
|DT Fletcher Cox||Ribs||DNP||Limited||Limited||Questionable|
|LB Nakobe Dean||Foot||DNP||Placed on IR|
|RB Kenny Gainwell||Ribs||DNP||DNP||DNP||Out|
• The Eagles had a walkthrough on Monday, but the above is an estimation from the team on players' statuses if they had practiced.
• Dean will be out "multiple weeks." We covered that in a little more depth on Monday.
• Bradberry is in the concussion protocol, which will be difficult to clear by Thursday.
• The severity of the "ribs" injuries for the other three guys is to be determined.
• Dean was placed on IR.
• Cox was upgraded to "limited," which is a good isgn for his chances of playing on Thursday night.
• It won't be a surprise if Bradberry doesn't play against the Vikings, but if Blankenship can't go that could be trouble given the team's shaky safety depth.
• Bradberry was unable to clear the concussion protocol in time, as expected.
• The loss of Blankenship is troubling. Sydney Brown and Terrell Edmunds will have a bigger role on defense.
• Gainwell’s absence opens the door for D’Andre Swift to get the bulk of the work at running back, like he probably should have Week 1. Rashaad Penny will also very likely dress on Thursday night after being a healthy scratch on Sunday.
• LB Nakobe Dean: Dean did not stand out in a good or bad way throughout the first few weeks of training camp, and he missed some time with an injury. However, he made a big play when he forced a goal line fumble in the Eagles' second preseason game against the Browns, and he was very active and around the ball a lot in joint practices against the Colts. He closed camp on a high note. In the Eagles' first game against the Patriots, he injured his foot and landed on injured reserve. He'll be eligible to return to the field Week 6 against the Jets.
The Eagles only have three other off-ball linebackers on their 53-man roster. They are Zach Cunningham, Christian Elliss, and Nicholas Morrow. They also signed former first round linebacker Rashaan Evans to the practice squad.
|C Garrett Bradbury||Back||DNP||DNP||DNP||Out|
|LT Christian Darrisaw||Ankle||Limited||Limited||Limited||Questionable|
|Edge Marcus Davenport||Ankle||Limited||Limited||Limited||Questionable|
* The Vikings had a walkthrough on Monday, but the above is an estimation from the team on players' statuses if they had practiced.
• Bradbury left the Vikings' game against the Buccaneers Week 1 with a back injury. He only played 7 snaps, and was replaced in the lineup by Austin Schlottmann.
• Davenport did not play Week 1 against the Buccaneers.
• Darrisaw missed six snaps on Sunday against the Bucs. He was replaced in the lineup by Oli Udoh.
• Vikings HC Kevin O'Connell said that Bradbury, Darrisaw, and Davenport are all "day-to-day," per Kevin Seifert of ESPN.
Kevin O’Connell says that Garrett Bradbury (back), Christian Darrisaw (ankle) and Marcus Davenport (ankle) are all day to day with a Thursday game in Philly looming. pic.twitter.com/Rc2P88VkMe— Kevin Seifert (@SeifertESPN) September 11, 2023
• Bradbury was a non-participant once again.
• Bradbury is out. Schlottmann should start. Bradbury is a middle of the road type of center, but he's better than Schlottmann. For the second straight week the Eagles will face a compromised interior OL.
• Darrisaw being questionable has to be very concerning for Vikings fans. He is their best offensive lineman. It would be a big downgrade from Darrisaw to Udoh if Darrisaw can't go.
• RB/KR Kene Nwangwu (IR): Nwangwu is one of the best kick returners in the NFL.
• DT James Lynch (IR): Rotational D-lineman. 20 tackles, 0 sacks last season in 15 games (2 starts).
Like us on Facebook: PhillyVoice Sports
Add Jimmy's RSS feed to your feed reader