More Health:

January 04, 2016

Family warns of battery dangers following toddler's death

The 2-year-old girl reportedly swallowed the coin-sized battery over the holidays

Children's Health Poisoning
Obit Brianna Florer Kent Vice/Facebook

An X-ray revealed Brianna Florer, 2, shown above, had swallowed a small button battery days before her death.

The family of a 2-year-old Oklahoma girl who unexpectedly died days after she reportedly swallowed a small disk battery, unbeknownst to her family, is warning others of the danger of this common household device.

The child, Brianna Florer, reportedly ingested the coin-sized battery over the holidays, the New York Daily News reports.

She soon turned blue, started throwing up blood and died days later, presumably as a result of the battery acid, according to the New York Daily News. 

According to the National Capital Poison Center, there were 11,940 reported cases of children under the age of 6 swallowing batteries between 2005 and 2014, with 15 resulting in fatalities and 101 leading to major medical problems.

A GoFundMe page has been created by the Florer family to raise funds for funeral costs.

Read the full New York Daily News report here.

Follow us

Health Videos