January 01, 2016
Welcome to PhillyVoice’s weekly quiz about quotes that appeared in our stories.
This is a special week, though, as the following quotes come from PhillyVoice’s most-read stories of 2015 as opposed to just the past seven days.
The answers are tucked at the bottom of each post (with the context available via hyperlink). We will know – and tell everybody – if you scrolled down and illicitly claimed you went 15 for 15. Real talk.
Side note: One of the possible answers is responsible for four of the quotes; another, for two.
Your possible answers are:
Amy Anderson, breastfeeding consultant; Anonymous 4chan posting; Comedy Central; Natalie Cribari, heroin-overdose victim; Samir Hill, basketball player from West Philly; Larry Hogan, Governor of Maryland; Jimmy Kempski, PhillyVoice Eagles writer; Elizabeth Licorish, PhillyVoice contributor; Darcia Narvaez, University of Notre Dame psychology professor; Lisa Randall, Harvard University physicist; Amy Wright Glenn, PhillyVoice contributor.
1. “Even healthy adults in midlife often don’t sleep undisturbed for 12-hours straight. We wake to pee, drink water, and reach out to hold a loved one.”
2. “Three best friends from a rough blue-collar neighborhood in Philadelphia struggle to avoid trouble and make a name for themselves in a city where the odds are stacked against them.”
3. “To note, this is something I had previously thought to be unrealistic, so as bits of information have trickled in, they've been absorbed on my end with skepticism.”
4. “I call bulls---. There’s no way she's living life to the fullest on less than 1,500 calories a day.”
5. “Don't let our one chance at writing history slip away.”
6. “The last time I saw my grandfather, he blew me a kiss. That is what I remember most.”
7. "In some global sense, we are all descendants of Chicxulub.”
8. “A mother’s love is a mother’s love regardless of whether or not her child lives or dies.”
9. “Maybe the above scenario is Crackpot City.”
10. “This grant will go a long way in helping us determine our next steps in this transportation and economic development opportunity.”
11. “They’re talking about, 'We only play for money.' I say, 'How much money y’all want to play for?'”
12. "For a baby, being left to cry is like torture."
13. “In my experience of being raised LDS (the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints/Mormon), little directive was given with regard to integrating the human shadow – the negative and normal aspects of the human psyche.”
14. “Through poison-tainted veins, I feel a warmth that soothes, but is surreal.”
15. “He has giving up on any chance that his parents will respond. His cries sound hopeless, exhausted, and pitiful.”