April 17, 2017
A popular retailer that specializes in teen and pre-teen clothing will be shuttering hundreds of stores nationwide and five in the Philadelphia region, the company said.
Rue21, a Pennsylvania-based business with 1,194 U.S. locations, announced Sunday that the 400 store closings were needed as it shifts focus to online sales.
"It was a difficult but necessary decision," the company wrote in a statement.
On the company's website, the following five locations near Philly will be closing soon:
• Oxford Valley Mall in Langhorne, Bucks County
• Exton Square Mall in Exton, Chester County
• Philadelphia Premium Outlets in Pottstown, Montgomery County
• Richland Marketplace in Quakertown, Bucks County
• Hamilton Mall in Mays Landing, New Jersey
The retailer will still operate eight stores in the area, including one in Northeast Philly at Philadelphia Mills.