April 04, 2016
Philadelphia District Attorney Seth Williams announced Monday afternoon that no charges will be filed against former Philadelphia Eagles running back LeSean McCoy in connection with a brawl Feb. 7 at Recess Lounge.
“There is insufficient evidence to prove that any individual committed a criminal offense," Williams said.
Williams added that he discussed his decision with Philadelphia Mayor Jim Kenney, Philadelphia Police Commissioner Richard Ross, and Philadelphia Fraternal Order of Police President John McNesby.
“My job was not to decide if anyone acted properly or not. I do not condone bar fights," Williams said. "My job was, solely, to determine if evidence exists to charge anyone with a crime.
“My decision today is consistent with my commitment to the citizens of the city of Philadelphia to only charge the right people.”
This decision comes after nine weeks of investigation into the incident, which allegedly involved McCoy and three off-duty Philadelphia police officers.
About two weeks after the incident, McNesby harshly criticized the District Attorney's Office for its handling of the investigation in a radio interview with Angelo Cataldi and the 94WIP Morning Show. McNesby claimed the brawl was “an all-out beatdown” of the officers and alleged it was by McCoy and his friends.
McNesby also told Cataldi during the interview that in all his years in law enforcement, he’s “never waited this long, ever, to see somebody arrested.”
Bigtrial.net reports the District Attorney's Office has concluded that "because there's such a cacophony of versions of what happened inside the Recess Lounge, from both participants and witnesses, that no single account can be discerned, much less proven. So no successful prosecution can be brought."
McCoy signed a multimillion-dollar contract last year with the Buffalo Bills after he was traded from the Eagles. According to bigtrial.net's sources, if he was suspended for even one game, he would risk losing all of the guaranteed money in that new contract.