October 19, 2016
Number two never sounded so sweet.
Shore season may be a thing of the past in 2016, but that doesn't mean you and your dog can't mark an adventure down for next year.
Wildwoods Dog Beach, located on Poplar Avenue2801-2899 on the Boardwalk, has been named the second best dog beach in the United States by USAToday's 10Best editors and experts.
“It’s an honor to be named among the best in the nation in anything,” said John Siciliano, executive director and CFO of the Greater Wildwoods Tourism Improvement & Development Authority. “Many families consider their four-legged friends family members and insist on traveling with their pets, so the Wildwoods make it possible for the entire ‘family’ to vacation together by offering a number of pet-friendly hotels-motels and a designated area of beach just for them."
A can't-miss red fire hydrant at the entrance to the beach stands 25 feet tall and leads onto a block-and-a-half-long, 190-yard-wide area where dogs can bound around to their hearts' content. The beach also has water stations and complimentary baggies for owners to clean up after their pets.
Here's the top 10:
1. Montrose Dog Beach - Chicago
2. Wildwood Dog Beach - Wildwood, New Jersey
3. Bald Head Island - Bald Head Island, North Carolina
4. Rosie's Dog Beach - Long Beach, California
5. First Landing State Park Beach - Virginia Beach, Virginia
6. Long Beach Peninsula - Long Beach, Washington
7. Huntington Dog Beach - Huntington Beach, California
8. Cannon Beach - Cannon Beach, Oregon
9. Double Bluff Beach - South Whidbey Island, Washington
10. Jupiter Dog Beach - Jupiter, Florida