More News:

January 20, 2015

Basketball player chokes to death on gum

Deaths Sports
Shanice Clark California University of Pennsylvania/for PhillyVoice

Shanice Clark, 21, of Toronto was found unresponsive in her apartment at Vulcan Village about 3 a.m. She was transported to Monongahela Valley Hospital in Monongahela, where attempts to revive her were unsuccessful and she was pronounced dead.

A Pennsylvania college student and basketball player died over the weekend after purportedly choking to death on chewing gum while asleep.

Shanice Clark, a 21-year-old senior at California University of Pennsylvania in Washington County, was found unconscious in her dorm room early  Sunday morning, reported.

Cal U Mourns Death Of Senior Women’s Basketball Player

She was taken to Monongahela Valley Hospital, where she was later pronounced dead.

The Washington County Coroner’s Office conducted an autopsy on Monday - the results have yet to be released - however, local police told KDKA a preliminary report from medical personnel indicated that the death appeared to be accidental and caused by aspirating on chewing gum while sleeping.

An official investigation is underway.

Clark was a native of Toronto and had transferred to the Pennsylvania college after playing two years at Sante Fe College in Gainesville, Florida.

The 6-foot forward was redshirting this season after playing 24 games for the Vulcans last season.

The college’s athletic department released a statement expressing sympathy for her loved ones. 

Games originally scheduled for Wednesday against Gannon University in Erie have been rescheduled for Thursday.