December 07, 2016
A Chester County student's depiction of the Nativity will adorn the Christmas card sent out this season by Philadelphia Archbishop Charles J. Chaput.
Erin Layton, a junior at Bishop Shanahan High School in Downingtown, was the winner of the inaugural Christmas card design competition, the archdiocese announced. Students in 217 parishes, 17 high schools, 122 elementary schools and four schools of special education were invited to create an original design to illustrate "The Joy of Christ's Birth."
More than 550 designs were received from students in the Parish Religious Education Program, kindergarten through 12th grade and special education schools and judged by staff in the archdiocesan Office of Catholic Education.
Five other students received honorable mention recognition for their designs in the following categories:
• PREP: Olivia Tarasiewicz, grade 6, Saint Michael the Archangel Parish, Levittown, Bucks County
• Kindergarten through 4th grades: Corina Burton, grade 4, Saint Mary Catholic School, Schwenksville, Montgomery County
• 5th through 8th grades: Isabella Zepeda, grade 6, Saint Anthony of Padua Regional Catholic School, South Philadelphia
• 9th through 12th grades: Anna Sherman, grade 10, Cardinal O’Hara High School, Springfield, Delaware County
• Schools of Special Education: Rebecca Bell, Saint Katherine Day School – Radnor Campus/High School Program in Delaware County