September 18, 2019
A new nighttime holiday light experience that includes more than 600,000 lights will take over the Philadelphia Zoo from Nov. 20 to Jan. 5.
LumiNature will transform the entire zoo into a winter wonderland. It is the zoo's first major holiday light and sound experience.
There will be a total of 12 immersive displays, including:
• Wonder of Slumber – Arrive at the zoo and take in the illuminated orbs and giant flowers.
• Flamingo Fancy – There will be a 25-foot tree made entirely of light-up flamingo lawn ornaments.
• Snake Awake – Look out for the colorful 21-foot snake slithering by, and the illuminated mouse it's chasing.
• Big Cat Stalk – Walk along a path of tall illuminated grass and look into the giant cat eyes glowing in the dark.
• Penguin Peace on Earth – Hundreds of illuminated penguins will fill the zoo's lawn to bid guests goodbye.
LumiNature has been in the works for over two years, and is a $3.5 million investment at the zoo.
Amy Shearer, Philadelphia Zoo chief marketing officer, stated that the new nighttime experience "is set to be the most unique and memorable holiday-season light extravaganza in the entire Philadelphia and tristate region."
To attend, guests must purchase timed-tickets. Prices are $24 for adults and $19 for children. Tickets will go on sale in mid-October, and additional experiences within LumiNature will be revealed then also. Check back for updates.
UPDATE Sept. 20: The zoo has stated members will receive a discount and free parking.
Nov. 20-Jan. 5
Zoological Drive, Philadelphia, PA 19104