More News:

March 21, 2022

Two Pennsylvania state troopers, civilian killed in crash on I-95, police say

Troopers Martin F. Mack III and Branden T. Sisca, and a third man, died after being struck by a driver near the stadium complex

Investigations Crashes
State Troopers I-95 Thom Carroll/For PhillyVoice

Three people, including two state troopers and one civilian, were struck and killed on I-95 in South Philadelphia at 12:40 a.m., state police confirmed on Monday.

A car crash in the southbound lane of I-95 in South Philadelphia early Monday morning killed two Pennsylvania state troopers and one civilian, state police said. 

Pennsylvania State Police identified the troopers as Martin F. Mack III, 33, and Branden T. Sisca, 29. The civilian's identity has not been released. 

MORE NEWS: Councilman Kenyatta Johnson's corruption trial to start next week

The crash happened at approximately 12:40 a.m. near the Sports Complex, just beyond the Broad Street exit, while the troopers were responding to a report of a man walking on the highway.

The troopers were helping the man get into the back of their cruiser when a female motorist attempted to drive past the scene, State Police Commissioner Robert Evanchick said. The woman fatally struck all three people and remained on the scene

"Our department is heartbroken with the tragedy that occurred this morning in Philadelphia," Evanchick said. "We ask our fellow Pennsylvanians to keep the families of our troopers and the pedestrian in their thoughts. This is an extremely difficult time." 

Mack had been on the force since November 2014. Trooper Sisca had joined the state police in February 2021. Both spent their entire careers assigned to Troop K in Philadelphia. 

Branden Sisca Martin MackSource/Pennsylvania State Police

Pennsylvania State Troopers Branden Sisca, left, and Martin Mack were killed during a crash on I-95 in Philadelphia on Monday morning.

The bodies of the state troopers were transported by a police motorcade from the crash scene to the medical examiner's office just after 6 a.m., 6ABC reported. 

The highway remained closed for eight hours Monday morning, reopening after 9 a.m. 

Gov. Tom Wolf has ordered the state flag to be hung at half-staff until sunset Friday and on the days of their funerals. 

"Frances and I are deeply saddened by the tragic loss of these two state troopers and the individual they were assisting," Wolf said. "This tragedy is a reminder that our law enforcement officers put their lives on the line everyday, and we Pennsylvanians are grateful for the men and women who protect us and our communities. Frances and I are praying for the loved ones of these courageous troopers, the civilian they were assisting, and for the Pennsylvania State Police." 

Philadelphia police also released extending their condolences to the families of the three people killed.

This is a developing story and will be updated.