The Philadelphia Zoo's Big Cat Crossing exhibit was named "Best Zoo Exhibit" of the year by a USA Today and 10Best readers' poll.
After the initial 20 nominees were chosen by experts, the top 10 winners were determined by popular vote.
Big Cat Crossing is part of the zoo's Zoo360 plan, a campus-wide system of trails that allows animals more freedom to roam around and above zoo grounds.
Big Cat Crossing is a 330-foot mesh overhead passageway that extends above the main visitor path. The trail encourages the zoo's large felines — lions, tigers, pumas, jaguars and more — to explore.
Best Zoo Exhibit Top 10:
- Big Cat Crossing - Philadelphia Zoo
- Arctic Ring of Life - Detroit Zoo
- Giants of the Savanna - Dallas Zoo
- Museum of Living Art - Fort Worth Zoo
- Russia’s Grizzly Coast - Minnesota Zoo
- Sea Lion Sound - St. Louis Zoo
- Congo Gorilla Forest - Bronx Zoo
- Desert Loop Trail - Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum
- African Elephant Crossing - Cleveland Metroparks Zoo
- Animal Care Center - Busch Gardens Tampa
On March 4, the Philadelphia Art Commission unanimously approved the concept for the Philadelphia Zoo’s African Plains project
, which will expand the existing exhibits.