July 26, 2017
Sometimes even a great restaurant needs a summer vacation.
All through the month of August, Bistro 7 chef-owner Michael O'Halloran will operate the North Third Street location as Dos Rosas Taqueria, a pop-up-style casual Mexican restaurant.
The typically sit-down, dinner-only Bistro 7 will take its turn as a counter-service, grab-and-go taco place during the day, with a sit-down Mexican menu in the evening.
“When we took Bistro 7 in a more casual direction last year, the response was overwhelmingly positive,” O’Halloran said. “We thought that for the month of August, in the hottest days of the summer, it might be fun to go even more casual, to allow visitors to our beautiful city as well as residents of the neighborhood to join us for a laid-back lunch or a fun and tasty dinner with friends.”
The all-day taco menu will include the following options, all served on flour or corn tortillas:
• Crispy pork belly with honey-chile glaze and spicy peanuts
• Duck carnitas with crispy duck skin and braised leeks
• Mushroom, corn and baby zucchini with tarragon crema and smoked hazelnuts
• Chorizo, potato and egg with charred poblanos
• Blackened redfish with pickled jicama and radish slaw
Daytime guests can also sample the following items:
• Burritos, served on thin, house-stretched flour tortillas filled with a choice of meat, beans, rice or quinoa and cheese
• Sonoran dog, a bacon-wrapped, all-beef hot dog served on a crunchy bolillo roll with drunken beans, pickled jalapeños, salsa verde, pico de gallo, guacamole, yellow mustard, lime mayo, hot sauce and cheese
• Three-cheese quesadillas and three-cheese nachos, available with a choice of meat or vegetables
• Roasted corn and heirloom tomato salad with avocado buttermilk dressing
• Chilled avocado soup with tomato ice, cucumber relish and lime crema
Starting at 5 p.m., the taco menu will be complemented by the following plates:
• Fresh-shucked oysters with lychee, jicama and jalapeño
• Honey-lime compressed watermelon with arugula greens, queso fresco and toasted pine nuts
• Red pippin-style shellfish stew with crushed avocado crema and lime cream
• Seared scallops with corn crema, heirloom tomato and chorizo vinaigrette
• Charcoal-roasted duck breast with chipotle-honey glaze and grilled peaches
• Carne asada boracho with charred guajillo chiles and roasted red onion
Dos Rosas will be open Tuesday through Sunday from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. and will close at 10 p.m. on Friday and Saturday. Evening reservations can be made by phone, and party menus are available for larger gatherings.