January 04, 2017
Philadelphia fans of David Bowie, "felt it was important to gather together as a city to celebrate a truly one-of-a-kind performer as we mark both his birth date and the one-year anniversary of his passing," according to the official Philly Loves Bowie event page.
During the Philly Loves Bowie weeklong event, local spots will host celebrations to honor the music icon, who died on Jan. 10, 2016.
Starting Jan. 6, Doobies Bar, The Franklin Institute, Blue Cross RiverRink, PFS Roxy Theater and many other local spots will host events for The Starman. View the full lineup below.
• There will be a Bowie art show at Ruckus Gallery in Old City. Regional artists will showcase work inspired by the icon.
• Doobies Bar will host an exclusive tasting of Bowie-inspired beer.
• Candy Volcano will take the stage at the TLA to celebrate Bowie.
• CIBO Ristorante Italiano is hosting a birthday brunch in honor of Bowie.
• Cinder is celebrating with a happy hour.
• Doobies Bar will have Bowie-themed Quizzo.
• Contribute to a chalk memorial outside Doobies Bar.
• Johnny Brenda's to host Bowie karaoke.
• The Free Library of Philadelphia will host a spoken-word event at its main branch. Local poets will read excerpts from Bowie's writings.
• The Franklin Institute will host a tribute to Bowie during a stargazing event. Attendees can look to the sky and make a commemorative Night Skies Bowie Pin.
• Martha Graham Cracker will perform Bowie hits at L'Etage.
• Jet Wine Bar will offer a free screening of the film "Labyrinth." The bar will also serve a special Bowie-themed cocktail.
• Sex Dwarf, an '80s-themed dance party, will spotlight Bowie.
• Blue Cross RiverRink will host a family-friendly Bowie celebration with ice skating to Bowie music, "Labyrinth" screenings and Ziggy Stardust face painting.
• World Cafe Live will host "A Night of Stardust."
Friday, Jan. 6 through Saturday, Jan. 14