September 02, 2016
This is an important public service announcement: Reading Terminal Market will be celebrating National Bacon Day with lots of bacon, with its vendors serving bacon-inspired meals and offering bacon discounts all for the love of bacon.
National Bacon Day (or International Bacon Day, according to BaconToday.com) falls on the Saturday before Labor Day, so this year it's Sept. 3. It's a magical holiday that even has its own punk rock theme song. No, really! Check this silliness out:
So, unless you’re a vegetarian/vegan/bacon-hater, Reading Terminal Market is the place to be Saturday if you're staying in the city for Labor Day weekend. Here's a list of the bacon dishes and deals offered at the market for the holiday:
• Beck's Cajun Cafe: fried mac and cheese balls with bacon
• Dutch Eating Place: egg and cheese on a kaiser roll, loaded with Lancaster County bacon, side of fresh-cut home fries and coffee, $6.50
• Giunta's Prime Shop: sliced hickory, applewood & pepper bacon, 2 pounds for $10; bacon jam, $11.95
• Godshall's Poultry: turkey bacon, 3 pounds for $13
• Hatville Deli: buy 1 pound hickory-smoked barbecue bacon, get 1 pound free
• L. Halteman Family Country Foods: buy 2 pounds of any bacon, get a third pound of equal/lesser value free
• Martin’s Quality Meats & Sausage: $1 off per pound for a purchase of 2 pounds or more of any bacon product (pork, turkey or beef), Sept. 2-4.
• Meltkraft: The Riehl Deal: classic grilled cheese with L. Halteman Family Country Foods’ thick-cut hickory bacon, $8
• Miller's Twist: bacon, egg & cheese pretzel wraps, 1 for $3 or 2 for $5
• Olympia Gyro: bacon ranch gyro (lamb and beef gyro with onions, tomatoes, bacon & ranch dressing)
• Pennsylvania General Store: 20 percent off all bacon and pig-related products, including Eat This' bacon marmalade, Bacon Jams' assorted bacon jams, chocolate-covered bacon, Girls Can Tell's Butcher Pig tea towels, Paprika Letterpress' Meet me at the Pig prints and chocolate scrapple
• Smucker's Meats & Grill: BLT sandwich, $5
• Sweet as Fudge Candy Shoppe: caramel chocolate bacon fudge & bacon peanut brittle
• The Head Nut: 15 percent off bacon-flavored sauces and other products, including Kevin Bacon trail mix
• Wursthaus Schmitz: Add bacon to any sandwich for 50 cents; bacon potato salad
Saturday, Sept. 3
8 a.m. to 6 p.m. | Pay-as-you-go
Reading Terminal Market
51 N. 12th St.