August 02, 2015
Training camp begins today! So let's take one last look at the roster before the first whistle of camp begins, and determine the chances of each player making the team. My highly scientific methodology is noted below:
Green = Locks (36)
Blue = Bubble boys (32)
Red = Long shots (21)
• QB: Sam Bradford, Mark Sanchez, Matt Barkley, Tim Tebow
Bradford and Sanchez will be the 1 and 2 quarterbacks, clearly, with Barks and Teebs fighting it out for the #3 spot. All along I've been saying that Teebs was destined for the chopping block. Might be flip-flopping on that one. More to come soon.
• RB: DeMarco Murray, Ryan Mathews, Darren Sproles, Kenjon Barner, Raheem Mostert, Kevin Monangai
I think the Eagles are keeping the three lock running backs, no more , no less, with maybe a spot available on the practice squad.
• WR: Jordan Matthews, Nelson Agholor, Josh Huff, Riley Cooper, Miles Austin, Seyi Ajirotutu, Jeff Maehl, Quron Pratt, G.J. Kinne, John Harris, Rasheed Bailey, Devante Davis
I listed Cooper, Austin and Ajirotutu as bubble boys because they're not 100% slam dunks, but I think all three are relatively safe.
• TE: Brent Celek, Zach Ertz, Trey Burton, Eric Tomlinson, Andrew Gleichert, Justin Tukes
Read the RB section above, and substitute "tight end."
• OL: Jason Peters, Jason Kelce, Lane Johnson, Allen Barbre, Matt Tobin, Andrew Gardner, Kevin Graf, David Molk, John Moffitt, Dennis Kelly, Julian Vandervelde, Brett Boyko, Josh Andrews, Malcolm Bunche, Mike Coccia, Jared Wheeler
Yep, I only have four Eagles offensive linemen as stone-cold locks to make the team. While I certainly think Tobin and Gardner are "near locks," I believe they still have some work to do.
• DL: Fletcher Cox, Bennie Logan, Cedric Thornton, Vinny Curry, Beau Allen, Brandon Bair, Taylor Hart, Brian Mihalik, Wade Keliikipi, Travis Raciti, Frank Mays, B.J. McBride
This is a deep and talented group. A promising player is likely to be cut.
• OLB: Connor Barwin, Brandon Graham, Bryan Braman, Marcus Smith, Brandon Hepburn, Jordan DeWalt-Ondijo
Yeah, I listed Marcus Smith as a bubble boy, but I still think it'd be a major surprise if he didn't make it. He'd have to show absolutely nothing (again) to get cut.
• ILB: Kiko Alonso, Mychal Kendricks, DeMeco Ryans, Jordan Hicks, Najee Goode
Again, like the defensive line above, this is a very deep and talented group, and the Eagles are likely to cut a good player, although the four guys listed in green will be safe.
• OLB/ILB tweeners: Travis Long, Brad Jones, Emmanuel Acho
We'll give Long, Jones, and Acho their own category here as guys who can play multiple spots. It could come down to Long vs Jones.
• CB: Byron Maxwell, Eric Rowe, Nolan Carroll, JaCorey Shepherd, Randall Evans, Denzel Rice
There is an overload of secondary players the Eagles added this offseason, and the Eagles can't keep them all. Obviously, they already traded Brandon Boykin. I've heard from several people that the team is very high on Shepherd.
• S: Malcolm Jenkins, Walter Thurmond, Chris Maragos, Chris Prosinski, Earl Wolff, Jerome Couplin, Ed Reynolds
Special teams contributor vs talented safety who is never able to play. Tough call.
• CB/S tweeners: Jaylen Watkins, E.J. Biggers
Both Watkins and Biggers may have an uphill climb. If they prove to be versatile, they may stick for depth purposes at multiple positions.
• K/P/LS: Cody Parkey, Donnie Jones, Jon Dorenbos, Kip Smith
Follow Jimmy on Twitter: @JimmyKempski