December 24, 2019
Enjoy a healthier take on a classic side dish with this healthy mac and cheese recipe from Independence LIVE’s weekly healthy cooking class. Made with a delicious onion-garlic puree, this recipe packs a ton of cheesy flavor while doing minimal damage to your waistline.
• Nonstick cooking spray
• 4 oz. of whole wheat macaroni elbows
• ½ cup of onion-garlic puree
• ½ teaspoon of dry mustard
• Pinch of cayenne pepper
• 1 cup of reduced-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
• 1/3 cup of non-fat Greek yogurt
• ¼ cup of (panko) whole wheat bread crumbs
Onion-Garlic Puree : Combine 1 large Vidalia onion, 9 garlic cloves (roughly chopped), and 1/2 cup water in a microwave-safe bowl. Season with salt and black pepper to taste. Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap and microwave on high 10 minutes. Pour the mixture into a blender; blend until smooth. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
Nutritional Information (per serving):
Saturated Fat: 4g