April 27, 2017
Balenciaga, a French luxury designer, has a new (and expensive) bag out that may look unusually familiar.
Ikea took notice and has a hilarious response.
The new bag from Balenciaga is blue, made of leather and goes for a whopping $2,145 in the United States.
It also bears a striking resemblance to Ikea's iconic Frakta bag. The Swedish company's creative team reportedly couldn't resist poking fun at the apparent tribute and released an ad showing "How to identify an original IKEA FRAKTA BAG."
The ad reads (via Ad Week):
How to identify an original Ikea Frakta bag
1) Shake it. If it rustles, it’s the real deal.
2) Multifunctional. It can carry hockey gear, bricks, and even water.
3) Throw it in the dirt. A true Frakta is simply rinsed off with a garden hose when dirty.
4) Fold it. Are you able to fold it to the size of a small purse? If the answer is yes, congratulations.
5) Look inside. The original has an authentic Ikea tag.
6) Price tag. Only $0.99.
A rep for Ikea told Ad Week the company was "deeply flattered" at the apparent imitation. Balenciaga didn't confirm if its bag was inspired by Ikea's "original."