June 13, 2017
Far be it from us to suggest that anyone could get tired of eating cheesesteaks the way God or whoever intended them to be made. Like anything else in life, though, sometimes you have to spice things up in order to appreciate the full range of possibilities a great custom can offer.
That's where the adventurous YouTube channel "This Is Mythical" comes into play. Childhood friends Rhett and Link, hosts of the daily talk show "Good Mythical Morning," serve up "stupefying creations" for your viewing pleasure to the tune of more than 4 billion hits since 2006.
It's an honor that they decided to try something fresh with cheesesteaks, a Philadelphia staple most of us would argue is impossible to improve upon.
But, lo and behold, here's a recipe for Philly cheesesteak cupcakes. Anyone could easily make a few trays of these and serve them as hors d'oeuvres at a party when it's important to conserve real estate in your guests' stomachs.
Below is the full recipe, courtesy of "This is Mythical."
2 cups flour
½ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ cup butter, softened
1 cup milk
Diced green pepper
Can of cheese whiz
Steak (we used roast beef, but you can go fancier)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and line a muffin tin with papers.
2. Cream the butter until light and fluffy.
3. Beat in one egg.
4. Add flour, baking powder and salt, alternating with milk. Beat well.
5. Spoon a small, even layer into each cup (about one-eighth of the cup height). Then add meat and veggies and a small amount of cheese.
6. Bake for 5 minutes.
7. Repeat step 5 until muffin is full and then bake an additional 20 minutes.
8. Let cool and then top with cheese whiz as frosting.