More News:

November 05, 2015

Delaware man reportedly sets himself on fire while lighting cigarette

A Delaware man is in critical condition after he accidentally set himself on fire Wednesday night in New Castle, 6ABC reports.

The incident occurred around 10:30 p.m. on the 1500 block of Beaver Brook Plaza.

According to officials, a 41-year-old man ran into the Beaver Brook shopping center with his clothing on fire, and a security guard was able to put out the blaze with a bottle of water.

The man said he set himself on fire while attempting to light a cigarette, 6ABC reports.

He sustained second- and third-degree burns to his neck, upper body, abdomen and extremities.

The man was taken to Christiana Hospital, where he is in critical condition.

The incident is under investigation.