March 22, 2017
Philadelphia often takes a backseat to New York City and Chicago in the race for best pizza, even after Bon Appétit named Fishtown's Pizzeria Beddia the best in the nation in 2015, but several recent rankings have begun to give Philly its due when it comes to great slices.
The latest rankings come from Food & Wine, which put together a list of its top 31 pizza places in the United States.
Coming in at first overall is Pizzeria Vetri, a salute to the signature of one of Philadelphia's premier restaurateurs.
At this pizza spot by Marc Vetri, one of the country’s best Italian chefs, the Neapolitan pies come with thick, chewy crusts and toppings like prosciutto crudo and roasted fennel. The rotolo, not to be missed, are pink, fatty slices of house-made mortadella and ricotta wrapped in pizza dough, topped with Sicilian pistachio pesto.
Next, Taconelli's Pizzeria in Port Richmond makes the list at No. 24.
This Philly pizza institution hasn’t changed the recipe for its tomato pies (minimal cheese) since Italian immigrant Giovanni Tacconelli started serving them in 1946.
Here's Food & Wine's top 10 in the country:
1. Pizzeria Vetri – Philadelphia
2. A16 Rockridge – Oakland, California
3. Milo & Olive – Santa Monica, California
4. Pig Ate My Pizza – Robbinsdale, Minnesota
5. Del Popolo – San Francisco
6. Don Antonia by Starita – New York City
7. Bar Toma – Chicago
8. 800 Degrees – Los Angeles
9. Nicoletta – New York City
10. Al Forno – Providence, Rhode Island