More News:

February 22, 2015

Evacuations in Center City over high carbon monoxide levels

Evacuation Center City
02.21.15_evac User @CyberNewsUS/Twitter

A Center City building was evacuated after high levels of carbon monoxide were detected.

Several people in Center City were evacuated Sunday afternoon due to high levels of carbon monoxide, 6 ABC reports

Fire Commissioner Derrick Sawyer explained that a manhole cover exploded underground, increasing carbon monoxide in the area. 

According to ABC 6, witnesses reported two explosions and a manhole cover blowing off into the street. 

"Right after the explosion happened, people started running. You could see the fire, you could see smoke, people started clearing the area right away," said Kyle Sormilich.

The evacuation occurred at approximately 5:40 p.m. on the 1500 block of Market Street. 

No injuries were reported and no customers have lost power. The cause of the explosion remains unknown. 

Read the full story here.