January 15, 2017
The Phillies won’t take the field at Citizens Bank Park for more than 11 weeks, but they’ll be in spring training in less than a month. Aside from the rise of Joel Embid, the Philadelphia sports world is quiet this week with the Eagles sitting out another postseason and the Flyers having a random week off.
With that said, the Phillies timed their #BackInTown promotional week just right.
After several prospects strolled into town last week, the major leaguers are back in Philly for the first time in 2017 with a series of photo opportunities, autograph sessions, banquets, and social media stops.
If you’re jonesing for some baseball, here are some highlights for the week ahead:
• On Monday morning at 10:30 a.m., Phillies outfielder Roman Quinn and the Phillies Phanatic will be at the African American Museum (701 Arch St.) to take part in Martin Luther King Day activities. Quinn will also take selfies with fans.
• On Wednesday afternoon (between 5-6 p.m.), Aaron Nola and Tommy Joseph will take part in a free autograph session at the Majestic Clubhouse Store at Citizens Bank Park. Autographs are limited to the first 250 fans. Fans can park for free at Lot S (on Pattison Ave, between Broad St. and Citizens Bank Way) as long as they mention they are there for the Phillies event.
Manager Pete Mackanin and several of his players will take the annual trip to the local minor league affiliates for their respective winter banquets.
• Monday night’s stop is in Williamsport, at the Genetti Hotel at 6 p.m. Mackanin, Quinn, and broadcaster Tom McCarthy are among those scheduled to attend. For more info and tickets check out the Williamsport Crosscutters’ website.
• Tuesday’s banquet is at the Crowne Plaza Reading Hotel in Wyomissing. Mackanin, Maikel Franco, Nola, and Quinn are all scheduled to attend. More info and tickets at the Reading Fightins’ site.
• The Lakewood BlueClaws host Wednesday night’s banquet at the Woodlake Country Club at 7 p.m. Mackanin and Franco are scheduled to attend. Again, tickets and other info available at the BlueClaws’ site.
• The winter banquet tour concludes on Thursday night hosted by the Lehigh Valley IronPigs at the Sands Event Center in Bethlehem at 6:45 p.m. Mackanin, Franco, Nola, and Joseph are on the guest list. Tickets, info at Pigs’ website.
• Want to have an intimate conversation with Maikel Franco and Roman Quinn? Well, you’re in luck. Both players will take part in a Snapchat Q&A with fans on Tuesday at 4 p.m. Fans are asked to send their questions to the Phillies’ twitter account (@Phillies) using the hashtag #BackInTown.
• Are you on the book of faces? Great. Franco, Aaron Nola, and Tommy Joseph will host a Facebook Live Q&A at 2:30 p.m. on Thursday. Again, fans are asked to send questions to the Phillies’ twitter account (@Phillies) with the hashtag #BackInTown.